Re: RMAN: How I DELETE old backupsets?

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:04:15 GMT

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:44:53 -0700, SunnyGuy11 interested us by writing:

> RMAN> DELETE FORCE EXPIRED BACKUPSET OF DATABASE DEVICE TYPE DISK
> COMPLETED BEFORE "TO_DATE('08/16/2005 00:00:00','MM/DD/YY
> HH24:MI:SS')";

From the "OracleŽ Database Recovery Manager Reference Manual 10g Release 1 (10.1)", under the DELETE command,

"

EXPIRED
  Removes only files whose status in the repository is EXPIRED. RMAN marks   backups and copies as expired when you run a CROSSCHECK command and the   files are absent or inaccessible. To determine which files are expired,   run a LIST EXPIRED command.

  If for some reason a backup or copy marked EXPIRED exists when you run   the DELETE EXPIRED command, then RMAN deletes the physical files.

FORCE
  Deletes specified files (whether or not they exist on the media) and   removes repository records. RMAN ignores any I/O errors for the deleted   objects. RMAN displays the number of deleted objects at the end of the   job.
"

From my reading, it seems that EXPIRED and FORCE contradict each other. Use one option or the other, but not both. The examples in the docco seem to suport that as well. <g>

--
Hans Forbrich