Re: Moving from Oracle 8i on Windows to 10G on RH Linux

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 22 Aug 2005 12:20:15 -0700

ronnie_yours_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently we have Oracle 8i running on a windows 2000 advanced server
> and are planning to change our platform to Red Hat Linux EE 3.0 and
> also are planning to migrate the database to 10G
>
> Is it advisable to do both at the same time and what are the caveats we
> should be aware of.
>
> Also do you guys recommend a production database on linux.
>
> Please suggest
>
> Thanks
> Ron

Ron as other people have suggested the problem you are running into is probably an application related problem that you force oracle into.

Now there's nothing wrong with migrating away from windows, or upgrading the database in itself.

But fixing your problem before you migrate would be the best solution, otherwise you are just buying time (maybe) until someone really takes the time to figure out what is going on. Received on Mon Aug 22 2005 - 14:20:15 CDT