Re: Instance name in 9i RAC

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 22 Aug 2005 05:10:37 -0700

Amar wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> If i create a DB in RAC using DBCA then we just give the name of the DB
> in DBCA, then how does the DBCA gets the instance_name from.
> For eg if my db name is racdb then what will be the isntance name on
> the nodes, does it depends upon the oracle_sid varialbe set in the
> profile in unix??? or is it something else from where a instance name
> is picked up.
>
> Regards,
> Amar.

Amar take a look at below this is what I suggest checking on and setting up your instance similar to.

*.cluster_database_instances=2
*.cluster_database=FALSE
*.db_name='racdb'
*.db_domain='whatever'
racdb1.cluster_database=TRUE
racdb2.cluster_database=TRUE
racdb2.instance_name='racdb2'
racdb1.instance_name='racdb1'
racdb2.instance_number=2
racdb1.instance_number=1

racdb1.thread=1
racdb2.thread=2

Yes the ORACLE_SID environment comes into play if you start up the instances individually like via sqlplus etc.

Most of the time though you will want to use the srvctl utility to startup/shutdown instances or the whole rac database so you also have to configure srvctl.

Having the cluster_database=FALSE except for the real rac instance is handy when you want to take the database into and out of archive log mode and under other fairly unusual situations. Received on Mon Aug 22 2005 - 07:10:37 CDT