Re: Newbie problem backing up 9i

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 19 Aug 2005 18:05:10 -0700

Mike T. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've worked as a programmer and a bit in network admin, but now I'm trying
> to learn DBA responsibilities. I've installed 9i on a test machine running
> XP Pro SP2 (unfortunately, this box doesn't have enough firepower to support
> 10g).
>
> Here's a point where I'm stuck:
>
> I've successfully installed everything, including the OEM console. I opened
> the console to access the database I created (testdb1.dell.myhomenet).
>
> Obviously, one of the important tasks is backing up the system. I log into
> OEM with SYS as SYSDBA. No problem. Then I go to Database Wizards > Backup
> from the tabs on the left side. Doing so, I get an error message stating
> that I can only launch the wizard when connected to OMS. I created an OMS
> and connect to it as SYSMAN.
>
> I added two users, admin01 and mike. I granted them CONNECT, DBA, and
> OEM_MONITOR roles. These are also names of users of Windows accounts (using
> the same user/pass combination to avoid confusion). In Windows, I added both
> of these users to the ora_dba group, and granted them rights to log in as a
> batch job.
>
> I then click on the database, and get error "ORA-01017: Invalid
> username/password; logon denied". I then get a login screen. I attempt to
> log in with the following:
> SYS: ORA-01017: Invalid username/password; logon denied
> admin01 (as SYSDBA): ORA-01031: Insufficient Privileges
> admin01 (as Normal): I can log in.
> mike (as SYSDBA): ORA-01031: Insufficient Privileges
> mike (as Normal): I can log in.
>
> I again attempt to run a backup, but now get a message saying:
> "Node credentials are not set for this mode. Set the credentials for this
> node in the preferred credentials."
>
> I then go to Configuration > Preferences, and switch to the "Preferred
> Credentials" tab. I go to the line for testdb1.dell.myhomenet, and set the
> username as SYS with the same password as before and log in as normal.
> Attempting to backup, I get the message saying:
> "The preferred credentials are not set to SYSDBA. You can either update the
> preferred credentials for this database in the console or create a backup
> configuration and override the preferred credentials."
>
> Returning to the "Preferred Credentials" tab, I switch the login type to
> SYSDBA. After that, I get a different error:
> "Using preferred credentials, the following error occurred: ORA-01017:
> Invalid username/password; logon denied"
>
> However, this is the exact same user/pass combination as before. I then
> attempt with the SYSTEM account as SYSDBA, and get "ORA-01031: Insufficient
> privileges".
>
> Could someone please point out to me what I'm doing wrong? It's probably
> something obvious (except, of course, to me).
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

The SYS as SYSDBA password is not the same as the SYS password, confusing as this may sound. Yes, you're using a correct password for SYS, but not for SYS as SYSDBA. Also, mike and admin01 haven't been granted SYSDBA privilege, so the logins fail when you use the 'as SYSDBA' credential. SYSTEM is not a SYSDBA account, so the login fails.

Set your SYSDBA password by creating or recreating the password file using orapwd.exe. Then try your login again, with this reset SYSDBA password.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Aug 19 2005 - 20:05:10 CDT