Re: SAHM considering database administration

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 19 Aug 2005 10:10:03 -0700

Before I move forward, I would like to know the answers to these 9 questions:
1. How many hours on average each week does a dba work?

Varies most work 48+ hours often ranging up to 60 or more

2. Am I too old to start in this career?

If you have serious talent motivation and dedication no.

3. Should employment prospects be good in the next 15 years?

Uncertain at best. Outsourcing is a fact of life.

4. Is there ageism in this profession?

Yes works both for and against older and younger people. After 50 though watch out!

5. How long will it be before I start earning at least $38K a year?

Depends on you finding a job.

6. How does one gain entry into this career?

Most people pay their dues with long amounts of time doing oracle development work.

7. What kind of people excel in this career?

Varies.

8. What is the career path?

Varies.

9. Are jobs only plentiful in big cities?

Varies. Received on Fri Aug 19 2005 - 12:10:03 CDT