Re: 10g EM agent

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_softhome.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:55:59 -0400

Billy wrote:
> Chuck wrote:
>

>>Anyone have a good reference for installing the 10g EM agent in a
>>clustered unix environment? I'm using Veritas Cluster Services on
>>Solaris 2.8.
>>
>>For that matter does anyone have a good reference for the emctl utility?
>>The EM docs contain very little about it other than how to start and
>>stop the agent with it. I'm mainly interested in the deploy option and
>>finding out *exactly* what it does.

> Chuck, I tried the OEM web-based thing on a Linux RAC cluster and
> disliked it intensely. Its slow and clunky. I have a problem with
> SYSAUX tablespace being totally consumed by what seems to be bug in
> collecting session stats. And the EM agent processes takes up more CPU
> power and memory than I'm willing to provide as coin to buy what OEM
> provides. (more than 1/4 on a dual CPU node)
>
> I've disabled all OEM stuff (DBMS_JOB, agents, etc). Using my own
> custom-rolled Unix shell script and a pool of SQL scripts (some
> self-made, many borrowed from experts) for seeing what is happening in
> the database and what and where the problems are.
>
> If there's one thing that has always sucked in Oracle, it is its DBA
> management tools. From SQL*DBA to OEM. They should look at Microsoft to
> see how to do it properly. Despite the limitations and restrictions in
> SQL-Server, their admin tool has been excellent since version 4 and
> only got better.
>
> --
> Billy

On non-clustered systems my emagents are behaving quite nicely. One is monitoring 29 targets and consuming only .2% of the cpu. My problem is that there's no documentation on the right way to set up the agents in a clustered unix environment. In addition, there's very little documented about emctl's options. I guess they don't expect anyone to do anything with it but start, stop, and status.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"