Re: SAHM considering database administration

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 18 Aug 2005 15:11:44 -0700

Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:13:48 -0700, Cristina Sovereign wrote:
>
> > 1. How many hours on average each week does a dba work?
>
> It depends. The legal limit is 40. From time to time it looks more
> like 60.

What legal limit? Different states have various laws, but there is no 40 AFAIK. It is often the case that the position is "exempt," which means you can be paid for 40 hours but expected, as a professional, to work as necessary until the job is completed. The potential and actuality of abuse is pervasive throughout the US. http://money.cnn.com/2004/08/05/news/economy/overtime/

And I've seen abuse of those who _do_ get overtime. Very, very tired people making mistakes on business critical systems. And even military systems.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Still p-o'd about the CA law removing the requirement for