Re: Performance on queries with a lot of AND / OR operators

From: <xhoster_at_gmail.com>
Date: 18 Aug 2005 18:01:45 GMT

aritha_at_zonnet.nl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question. Browsed the Internet but was unsuccessfull in
> finding the answer. So hopefully you can help?
>
> Given a UI connecting to an Oracle database. Currently, this UI
> provides users the ability do searches on the database using only an
> AND operator.
>
> This UI needs to be extended to allow OR operators and negators (NOT).
> The UI does not allow the user to select fields which causes extra
> joins. (I read that can be a negative performance impact)

This seems like a peculiar way to run an organization. What difference does it make how fast the database runs if it refuses to give people the information they need?

> Now, my question is, in an environment where over 1000 clients connect
> to this database, is it likely that this will have a very bad influence
> on performance?

Yes, it is likely to.

> Is there any documentation which I can read on this?

Yes. There are thousands of pages of it. Go to tahiti.oracle.com. Find the ones that fit the version of Oracle you are using.

> I looked over the Internet but was not able to find anything if the
> query in the field of numer of OR and AND would grow. Only if there are
> more joins etc.
>
> Any suggestion very very welcome ;)

Hire someone who knows what they are doing.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB