No Explain Plans from TKPROF

From: <alan_h_r_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Aug 2005 10:07:31 -0700

Hi,

I am just learning how to use traces and TKPROF. My problem is that it is not giving me the explain plans (with row counts and timings) for my SQL. Sometimes I will get a few explain plans but typically I get none. When I do get explain plans sometime they will have timing statistics as in "(cr=22631 r=17 w=0 time=212289 us)" and sometimes they won't.

I am running my tests from a fresh session on sqlplus and I think I am exiting gracefully. My Oracle versions are 9204 and 9206. I use the following test script:

ALTER SESSION SET TRACEFILE_IDENTIFIER = 'alan' ;
ALTER SESSION SET timed_statistics     = true ;
ALTER SESSION SET max_dump_file_size   = unlimited ;
ALTER SESSION SET EVENTS '10046 trace name context forever, level 12' ;

<<< sql stuff goes here >>>

ALTER SESSION SET EVENTS '10046 trace name context off' ;

DISCONNECT ; Any ideas ???

Thanks,

Alan
EXIT ; Received on Thu Aug 18 2005 - 12:07:31 CDT