Performance on queries with a lot of AND / OR operators

From: <aritha_at_zonnet.nl>
Date: 18 Aug 2005 05:59:43 -0700

Hi all,

I have a question. Browsed the Internet but was unsuccessfull in finding the answer. So hopefully you can help?

Given a UI connecting to an Oracle database. Currently, this UI provides users the ability do searches on the database using only an AND operator.

This UI needs to be extended to allow OR operators and negators (NOT). The UI does not allow the user to select fields which causes extra joins. (I read that can be a negative performance impact)

Now, my question is, in an environment where over 1000 clients connect to this database, is it likely that this will have a very bad influence on performance? Is there any documentation which I can read on this? I looked over the Internet but was not able to find anything if the query in the field of numer of OR and AND would grow. Only if there are more joins etc.

Any suggestion very very welcome ;)

Thanks & cheers,
Aritha. Received on Thu Aug 18 2005 - 07:59:43 CDT