Re: About to start classses for Oracle DBA.... Will I be able to get a job

From: Karl E. Taylor <ktayloraz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:03:03 -0700

ibm_97_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> "The market learned from that
> mistake. "
>
> I don't think it's a mistake that people can make more money. In east
> here, the DBA market is really picking up: sybase, oracle, db2... The
> pay is also much much better than 2 yrs ago. Hope this will continue.

The "mistake" was hiring managers taking no experience college drop outs, that managed to read SAMS, "Oracle Unleashed", and giving them 6 figure salaries for four figure work.

And if you don't think that happened, you were either to busy to notice, or not in the position to hire and fire those folks.

Further, in the east, where I got my start, you need 80k+ per year, to survive. The cost of living is very high in some places.

Do the same job here in the south west, and you'll be lucky to see half of that money. But our cost of living is also, much lower. (i.e., my house is 2180 sq. feet, bought 8 years ago at 77k, now valued at 125k).

So, you are right, it does depend on the area. However, Phoenix is a great example of how the market has turned. In 98/99 I was 100k+ per year. Now, same job, same location, I make just over half of that, per year.

However, at least I have a job. Many people I used to work with, changed careers, because they could not get a job, or were not flexible enough to take what was offered.

--
Dr. Karl E. Taylor

Unix Systems Engineer / Oracle DBA