Re: NLS_LANG

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:41:01 +0200

Amar wrote:
> HI everyone,
> This is my first posting on this group.
> Well i am having a DB with UTF8 characterset and we insert french and
> english characters in it. i want to know that when i set my
> nls_lang=utf on my client side to insert special characters it give me
> error ORA-01756: quoted string not properly terminated . but when i set
> nls_lang=WE8ISO8859P1 it wokrs for me. can some one tell me what is the
> logic behind this and also what value of nls_lang should be set if my
> db is in UTF8 characterset.
>
> Regards and Thanks in Advance.
>
> Amar.

UTF8 is no valid setting for the NLS_LANG environment variable, and neither is WE8ISO8859P1. NLS_LANG should have a language, territory, and character set, like AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1 See
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96529/ch3.htm#49560 assuming you have 9i, release 2.
AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1 should be able to cope with French as well as English, by the way, but not with the Euro (€) sign. Officially, WE8ISO8859P15 supports that, but M$ uses a different code point, so WE8MSWIN1252 would be s safer choice.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...