Re: Please Help DB Buffer Cache Size

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 03:03:02 GMT

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:48:49 -0700, brijeshmathew wrote:

> My current buffer size is 140 MB. I am having performance issues. That
> is the reason I am doing this.

So, are you having performance issues with the buffer cache or an application? What is slow? Buffer cache or an application? How do you the discern buffer cache being slow from buffer cache being fast? Personally, I am inclined to shoot the buffer cache with S&W .44" on the first sign of movement, regardless of the speed. Either that or to check into Betty Ford for detox.
I usually tune the applications, because they have users who can tell me about the response time, response time can be measured, I can see what is the application waiting on, where is it spending time, how much CPU time does it consume and the other, entirely unimportant, details.

--
http://www.mgogala.com