What's my session's pid?

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:55:53 GMT

Is there are a more elegant way to know my pid?

I've modified T. Kyte's method of 'Alternative Solution to Provide Worry-Free Access [to sql trace output' from his Effective Oracle by Design book (pages 129-135), to allow in session viewing of the trace file, since his method required a logoff, which would populate a table with trace file name.

Basically I did the following.

I left the trace_files user alone.

grant select on v_$process to trace_files with grant option;
grant select on v_$session to trace_files with grant option;
grant select on v_$instance to trace_files with grant option;

create or replace view session_trace_file_name as
select lower(d.instance_name) || '_ora_' || ltrim(to_char(a.spid)) || '.trc' filename
  from v$process a, v$session b, v$instance d  where a.addr = b.paddr
   and b.audsid = sys_context ('userenv','sessionid');

grant select on session_trace_file_name to public;

And it seems to work.. fine.

So.. any drawbacks, and/or better way to do this?

thanks.

We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 and 9.2.0.6/7 on Solaris 2.7 and RH4 remove NSPAM to email Received on Tue Aug 16 2005 - 10:55:53 CDT