hs message to agent event

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 Aug 2005 08:11:49 -0700

Platform: Oracle 9.2.0.6 on Win-2003 Server

Developer has query that continues to 'hang'. He has isolated the qeury, so a perfect chance for me to try some diagnostics with extended tracing. When I ran my test, I finally killed the query after 4+ minutes. Grabbed the trace file and ran a tkprof. Also fed it into Egor's 'orasrp' Nice tool.

Result was that 99.3% of the wait time was on 'hs message to agent'. Well, the 'hs' suggests heterogeneous services, and the query DOES include a join to a DB2 table via Oracle Transparent Gateway.

A search of this ng archives on the phrase 'hs message to agent' gets no hits. A search of google.com only got 3 hits, all of which were simply listings of wait events. A Search of MetaLink only turned up one hit -- a forum posting asking what this event was, followed by several others also asking, all without a reply. A search of the pdf of "Oracle 9i Database Reference" got no hits. A search of tahiti, got no hits on the phrase, and a few hits of no value when simply 'and'ing the words for the search.

Anyone know what this event is, can point me to some good docs? Received on Tue Aug 16 2005 - 10:11:49 CDT