Re: Please Help DB Buffer Cache Size

From: Andreas Sheriff <spamcontrol_at_iion.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 23:16:22 -0700

<brijeshmathew_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1124168816.789941.299680_at_g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi Everyone
>
> I am using Oracle 9i, Rel 9.0.1, running on Windows 2000 Server. Server
> is HP Proliant, with 1 GB Memory.
> My Buffer Cache Size was initially set to 80 MB, and I turned the
> Buffer Cache Advice on. After couple of days, from the Advise, I saw
> that If i increase the Cache Size to 140 MB, my estimated physical
> reads will reduce drastically, so i increased the buffer_cache size
> Now, after two days of usage, I see this from the V_$DB_CACHE_ADVICE
> view.
>
> SIZE BUFFERS READ_FACTOR ESTD_PHYSICAL_READS
> 14.5898 3735 20.7779 650131988
> 29.1797 7470 20.263 634019482
> 43.7695 11205 20.0122 626171180
> 58.3594 14940 19.9254 623456264
> 72.9492 18675 19.7237 617145677
> 87.5391 22410 2.2776 71265931
> 102.1289 26145 1.8634 58306198
> 116.7188 29880 1.7465 54648678
> 131.3086 33615 1.4881 46563459
> 145.8984 37350 1 31289544
> 160.4883 41085 0.9857 30842855
> 175.0781 44820 0.981 30695355
> 189.668 48555 0.9746 30493991
> 204.2578 52290 0.9727 30434138
> 218.8477 56025 0.4692 14680325
> 233.4375 59760 0.2988 9348170
> 248.0273 63495 0.2699 8445659
> 262.6172 67230 0.2656 8309936
> 277.207 70965 0.2637 8251755
> 291.7969 74700 0.2621 8201407
>
> Should I increase my DB Buffer Cache to 250 MB in this case, or I am
> not understanding it properly.
> Please Advice
>
> Thanks in Advance
>
> Brijesh Mathew

Read this part of the Performance and Tuning Guide: " Configuring and Using the Buffer Cache "
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A91202_01/901_doc/server.901/a87503/memory.htm#34133

It details about the buffer cache and it should answer your question as to whether or no to increase the buffer cache.

--

Andreas Sheriff
Oracle 9i Certified Professional

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL