Re: About to start classses for Oracle DBA.... Will I be able to get a job

From: G <yank25us_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 Aug 2005 15:04:21 -0700

richard.hawks_at_gmail.com wrote:
> I am about to start the fall semester in an Oracle DBA certificate
> program in the Dallas, Texas area. I have no prior experience and would
> like to know when I finish would my prospects of getting a job be good?
> And if experience is a major issue how could I get experience in the
> field when I finish school to make myself more marketable??

Try to get work experience while you are taking your course:

If you are attending a University or College, find out who is running the databases on campus and more or less work for free as a student assistant while you are taking your classes. The experience and references you will gain will be very valuable to you. If not that, then explore internships or student assistantships with the State of Texas, or local government.

9 months of entry level experience like this will go a long way to getting that first professional job, permanent or (more than likely) temporary.

Don't believe the degree hype or the inordinate time frames thrown around--you can put this together in a year or two if you have the drive and can tolerate a setback or two... Received on Mon Aug 15 2005 - 17:04:21 CDT