Re: About to start classses for Oracle DBA.... Will I be able to get a job

From: <ibm_97_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 Aug 2005 13:26:22 -0700

Well, it all depends.

  1. Working experience is overrated, a lot. If you are lucky enough to experience new tech and want to learn those stuff, you can pick up Oracle pretty quickly. Certainly you can learn a lot if you install Oracle for Linux on your home PC. I know lots of 'smart' people with 3 yrs working experience are far better than those with so called 7yrs experience.
  2. If you know Unix well, that will be a big plus.
  3. Scripting languages (shell, perl, etc), plus PL/SQL. And you know program languages (C++, JAVA, etc), that's big plus also.
  4. Like other people said, try to get into financial firms (but google is not, is it?) 'cause you always can get better pay.
  5. OCP program can help you gain knowledge on paper, which is good also.
  6. good luck