Re: Script for performing clean shutdown before windows shutdown

From: <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 15 Aug 2005 11:15:58 -0700

In 9 years, I have never seen a problem with the use of shutdown abort.

Perhaps you might want to plug the following string into metalink and see what you get back: "shutdown immediate hang".

In the past, the "Oracle Intelligent Agent" could cause shutdown immediate to hang. DBMS_JOBs, advanced queueing, etc could also cause a shutdown immediate to not complete in a reasonable amount of time.

I only use cold backups prior to upgrades/patchsets and regularly rely upon hot physical backups or rman-created backup sets. IMHO, cold backups are problematic and typically unnecessary. If I am creating a cold backup set, I manually shutdown the instance cleanly prior to creating the backup set.

hth.

-bdbafh Received on Mon Aug 15 2005 - 13:15:58 CDT