Re: Patch 9.2.0.7.0 for windows xp

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 15 Aug 2005 06:34:08 -0700

LJQ wrote:
> Over the weekend I tried to install the latest Oracle patch 9.2.0.7.0
> over 9.2.0.1.0 on a XP box. However, strange thing happened:
>
> After executing the setup.exe, Oracle begins it's installation,
> but shortly after the installation procedure begins, a form poped
> up with a huge listing of services that need to be shut down in
> order for the update to continue. There were no errors in this
> instance,just a page full of service name needed to be shutdown
> (Includinig Windows client, compute brower, DHCP client, DNS client..
> but not including the Oracle ones because they have been shutdown
> before running setup.exe), you are only allow to choose either "retry",
> "cancel" or "ignore", no luck to proceed
>
> Anybody have similar experience?
>
> There is a like http://nixforums.org/about56236.html describing the
> same problem but there is no resolution.

If you ONLY stop the oracle services but still have the oracle bin directory in the PATH some of the dll's are often associated with (being used or loaded or something ? ) by various windows (not oracle) services.

www.sysinternals.com

There are various freeware utilities that can show you which dll's ( aka the one the installer is complaining about ) are still being picked up by various windows services. ( System internals has some excellent stuff ).

Then you can stop those services and hit retry ...

Being that this is windows, sometimes the services that you stop will start again so for some cases you have to do this multiple times.

Another possibibility as someone noted is to take this stuff out of the PATH and reboot ... then put it back in later. Received on Mon Aug 15 2005 - 08:34:08 CDT