Re: Shell script Backup Server Oracle Linux

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:54:00 +0200

hal9000 wrote:
> I have programmed a shell script to do the backup to server Oracle on
> linux system.
> Here it is the script
> '--
> #!/bin/sh
> set ORACLE_HOME=/usr/oracle/9.0/
> export ORACLE_HOME
> echo "The backup is beginning"
> /usr/app/oracle/9.2/bin/exp system/oraclesystem full=y
> file=/home/oracle/exp/dati.dmp log=/home/oracle/exp/datilog.txt
> tar -cvf /dev/st0 exp
> echo "backup ended, have a nice day"
> ---
> I used a crontab to the the backup every day at 5.00 AM.
> But every day, the script do not run and the mail corresponding says
> ---
> Message 206 not found; No message file for product=RDBMS, facility=EXP:
> Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production on Mon Jul 4 03:12:00 2005
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle
>
> Invalid format of Export utility name
>
> Verify that ORACLE_HOME is properly set
>
> Export terminated unsuccessfully
>
> EXP-00000: Message 0 not found; No message file for product=RDBMS,
> facility=EXPexp/
> exp/datilog.txt
> exp/dati.dmp
> exp/dati.dmp.gz
> exp/dati310505.dmp
> exp/dati.dmpgz
> backup finito, have a nice day
> --
> Any hints?
> Regards.
> ALEX
While you received quite useful help, one important thing should be mentioned too:

This is not a backup. This is an export, and as such at most a logical backup. I just hope you don't rely on this solely as your DR-strategy, or you don't care for your data as much as you should.

Not that export can't be useful in certain situations. But if you lost your controlfiles, it's not export that's going to help (not without potential data loss, that is).

Regards,

Holger Received on Mon Aug 15 2005 - 07:54:00 CDT