Re: undo tablespace keeps growing, why can't I reclaim space?

From: <hansdegit_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Aug 2005 09:07:16 -0700

Sybrand Bakker schreef:

> You need to use v$waitstat to monitor what your process is waiting
> for.

I have never used v$waitstat to see what is going on with undo segments, so please clarify.

> Provided you didn't set up dictionary managed tablespaces your
> assumption is highly unlikely and probably just a shot in the dark.
Yes, it was a shot in the dark, therefore I asked for the internals of undo segment handling, to get get a better understanding of what was going on, an explanation of the difference between the bytes reported in v$rollstat and dba_segments.

> Other than that, one could question why you don't merge the insert and
> update into one statement, assuming the *real* update statement (which
> you obviously didn't disclose) is as simple as the pseudo statement
> you provided.

Thanks for the hint, but I know how to work around this problem. Indeed, the *real* update is not as simple. Received on Sun Aug 14 2005 - 11:07:16 CDT