Re: fresh dba

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:56:34 +0200

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 19:47:59 +0800, "BL" <c50342182003_at_yahoo.com.hk> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am a fresh dba. I have a problem that if the database crash, what
>procedures should I do?
>1. try to "startup" the database again.
>2. if "startup" failed, check what problems in the alert log file.
>3. fixed the problem
>4. try to "startup" again
>
>Am I correct?
>
>Thanks
>Brian

I would first investigate why it went down at all (usually surfaces in the alert log). If the system tablespace is damaged no need to even try to restart it. If there is any file corrupt, better take an O/S backup of your current situation, you may need to revert to it.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA