Re: SAHM considering database administration

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 06:02:30 GMT

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:13:48 -0700, Cristina Sovereign wrote:

> 1. How many hours on average each week does a dba work?

It depends. The legal limit is 40. From time to time it looks more like 60.

> 2. Am I too old to start in this career?

Definitely not.

> 3. Should employment prospects be good in the next 15 years?

Yes and no. Junior staff is likely to be outsourced to Elbonia. Very senior people will likely thrive as project managers, DBA managers or consultants. You must keep in mind that not all databases and technical support can be successfully relocated to Elbonia. Some of them are coming back because of the public outcry and drop in the quality of service.

> 4. Is there ageism in this profession?

Not any more. After the big wave of outsourcing, young people stopped choosing careers in the IT so there are many people of my age (44) and older which are still very much appreciated in the IT.

> 5. How long will it be before I start earning at least $38K a year?

Provided you're a real DBA, you should start around $45,000 and I am talking rural Alabama here.

> 6. How does one gain entry into this career?

DBA is like a mushroom: throw him in the dark place feed him with s..tuff and let him grow. There are no schools for DBA personnel. DeVry will not help you much.

> 7. What kind of people excel in this career?

Well, this career is filled with sweethearts like Sybrand Bakker, Daniel Morgan, Noons, Holger, Fitzjarrel, me and other people like us. In my opinion we should be canonized as soon as possible. I listed the people above because I am seeing them on DBA forums for ages and they are very knowledgeable and good. So, to answer your question in a single word: "saints".

> 8. What is the career path?

Jonathan Lewis is the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one becometh a DBA but by reading his book(s).

> 9. Are jobs only plentiful in big cities?

No, they are not plentiful anywhere. Not any more. PHB, Elbonia and that kind of stuff.

--
http://www.mgogala.com