Re: RMAN log sequence not found.

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 12 Aug 2005 15:48:37 -0700

kechup wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We switched to RMAN managed backups. Prior to this we deleted
> archivelogs by means of OS. Now I made database backup, and then
> archivelog backup. I tested if I can restore archivelog from backup and
> I have got thes message:
> RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
> RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
> RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
> RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 08/12/2005 11:09:33
> RMAN-06026: some targets not found - aborting restore
> RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 1 seq 33 scn 37770144 found to
> restore
> RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 1 seq 32 scn 37770142 found to
> restore
> RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 1 seq 31 scn 37763529 found to
> restore
> RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 1 seq 30 scn 37763527 found to
> restore
> RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 1 seq 29 scn 37763522 found to
> restore
> RMAN-06025: no backup of log thread 1 seq 28 scn 37763446 found to
> restore
>
> All the reported log sequences were deleted before the RMAN`s database
> backup and are not needed for database recovery. I tried crosscheck and
> then DELETE EXPIRED but without success.
>
> So now I have database backup, all archivelogs in backup needed for
> recovery but can`t restore them because were deleted by means of OS and
> they are not needed for reco.

See Case 2 in
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showFrameDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=155656.1

> Any idea?

Well, obviously they were needed. Remember, RMAN backup is inconsistent, the controlfile is snapshotted when RMAN starts. So, those transactions in progress (which might be other than user transactions) will need to be recovered to make the database consistent, the logs in question may be from before RMAN starting the backup.

I'll slightly disagree with Sybrand - it's ok, even desireable to keep older arcs around and then delete with OS commands - BUT, you have to keep enough of them, certainly more than one backup cycle.

OW! My hands! oww! OWWW!

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.