Re: No future for DB2

From: Mikey <mikeyNO_at_SPAM.Segel.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:08:13 -0500

DA Morgan wrote:

> rkusenet wrote:
>

>> This article is very bleak about future of DB2. How credible is the
>> author.   http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1839681,00.asp

> Graph the calendar year vs. the average age of DB2 developers and DBAs.
> Do the same for the other major commercial RDBMS products. You will have
> your answer.
>
> It is not that DB2 is technically incapable of competing. Rather IBM
> is presiding over an aging baby-boom workforce. Speaking only from my
> experience in the US ... a large number of colleges and universities,
> including mine, have active programs teaching SQL Server and Oracle.
> I can not think of a single one teaching DB2.

Universities would be better served if they taught theory and not products. Maybe you should work for a *real* university? :-P (Naw that would mean you'd have to produce something substantial...)
> I left Fortran for a reason.
> I left COBOL for the same reason.
> Those working with DB2 should take a serious look at which is more
> important ... product loyalty or paying the mortgage.

Those who tie themselves to any core product should be worried. (seems you've got your lips puckered and bending over to "greet" Larry.)

I'm sure that neither Fortran nor Cobol miss you. ;-)

But hey, what do I know?
I'm a C/C++ and Java kind of guy?
(Oh sure I've dabbled in Objective C, Small Talk, along with the required COBOL and FORTRAN classes... but C is really one of those perfect programming languages if you know what you're doing. ;-)

But then again, what do I know? I'm the type of guy who became a sales critter cause I got burned out on fixing other people's messes. Received on Fri Aug 12 2005 - 11:08:13 CDT