Re: partitioning an exesting table

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:24:56 GMT

On 11 Aug 2005 08:51:52 -0700, "Eugene" <epipko_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thank you,
>I was a bit intimidated by the David's reply. It looked somewhat
>complicated to me. I am glad that there might be yet another "easier"
>approach to it. I also read Note: 1070693.6 and found out about at
>least 3 different ways of doing it:
>1. Exp/Imp
>2. Insert with subquery
>3. Partition exchange
>
>What do you think about them?
>
>Eugene

They all apply to the old-fashioned off-line partitioning, dealing with the fact that prior to 9.0 you couldn't partition an existing table directly. Since you can do it directly with DBMS_REDEFINITION, I would call them...obsolete, in your case.

David's reply has some very good points, however. As any other restructuring, partitioning must be carefully evaluated, planned and carried out. This is true whatever method you use for partitioning.