Re: Excellent future for DB2

From: Anton Versteeg <Anton_Versteeg_at_nnll.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:07:06 +0200

Bob Jones wrote:

>>While I can understand where you are coming from when you say many people
>>feel that mainframes are "dated", that doesn't drive the rdbms business.

> I do feel sorry if this is how my message was interpretated.
>

>>Perception of value and of the most suitable platform to run a database on
>>is what drives customer investment. Many customers to this day still feel
>>that the mainframe is the best place for apps that require the ultimate in
>>security, availability, reliability, and performance. That is the reason
>>that we still see growth on mainframe platforms.
>>

> I agree it is just perceptions. Mainframe being the only place to get RAS is
> one of them. Funny you talked about performance. The cost/performance
> picture is not exactly pretty on mainframe, when compared to x86 or RISC
> platforms. Yes, there is growth in mainframe. In fact, there is growth in
> virtually all platforms. The unit sales per year for mainframe is measured
> in thousands, while other major server platforms are measured in millions.

Bob,
Again you are very vague here.
cost/performance of what?
I have seen figures that mips , all included (labor, number of users supported) are cheaper on a MF than on a PC. Seriously, are your going to tell a large bank or insurance company, that they should swap a mainframe for let's say 10.000 PC's? OK, I agree it would be very good for companies selling IT services and   PC software.
--
Anton Versteeg
IBM Netherlands