Re: partitioning an exesting table

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 10 Aug 2005 14:42:48 -0700

Eugene wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am using Oracle 9.2 enterprice addition on Win2003.
> I am looking a way to partition an existing (packaged application)
> table with 3M rows. It has 24 indexes and 2 triggers on it as well.
> Could you, please refer me to the doc or show me the way of doing it?
>
> Thanks,
> Eugene

An aspect you've apparently overlooked is how does this affect your support and license agreements with the application vendor? Any unauthorized change to their schema objects can, and will, void the warranty, license and service agreements. You seriously need to discuss this with the vendor BEFORE you attempt anything, else you could be the proud owners of a broken application that the vendor won't fix because of license violations. It is their product, which they have granted you license to use; they should be making these changes, if they deem them necessary, not you.

Do NOT make any attempt at partitioning until you speak with the vendor AND receive written permission to make such changes. Without such a document in hand your company could have an unusable product, and you could be job hunting.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Aug 10 2005 - 16:42:48 CDT