Re: Flattening a time-based tree structure

From: Ed Prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 10 Aug 2005 09:11:43 -0700

Catalin Pitis wrote:
> The source table gives me the all the hierarchies, at all times, so I
> have cyclic references, which prevents me on using CONNECT BY clause.
>
> What I miss is an idea about an efficient way of transforming the data.
>
> Catalin

You miss my point, or maybe your description of the data is incomplete.

Is the following true?
For a given point in time there are no cycles in the graph. (IOW, there is not overlap between when 1 is the parent of 2 and when 2 is the parent of 1.)

If it is true, then you need to break the problem down such that you can write the hierarchy portion separate from the timeframe portion.

If it is false, I think it's time to redesign your tables andor application.

ed
(and contrary to some project managers, there are some computational problems that CAN NOT be solved in a finite amount of time.) Received on Wed Aug 10 2005 - 11:11:43 CDT