Re: No future for DB2

From: rkusenet <rkusenet_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 18:29:56 -0400

"Larry" <larry_at_nospam.net> wrote in message news:aV9Ke.25166$sf6.16572_at_fe08.lga...

> You're "analogy" doesn't really work ... when was the last time you went
> shopping for a car where
> Sorry ... you can keep coming back to challenge if you want. Go talk to
> Gartner or one of the big consulting firms and ask them if DB2 is a good
> investment as a rdmbs ... and whether they think IBM will be around for
> awhile to support it.

My analogy was not talking about DB2 in particular. I was talking about general principles followed when going for a RDBMS.

I have been to situations when the customer told us to make our product work with SQL Server bcos they enterprise standard is oracle/sql server and not informix.

A friend of mine works in PROGRESS technology and he too is saying that many customers tell them to make their product work with SQL Server or Oracle. His company is going to release their next version with O and SS. So I guess it will be a question of time before they kiss goodbye to Progress.

You don't think market share has anything to do with it. Received on Tue Aug 09 2005 - 17:29:56 CDT