Re: admin password in oracle

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 9 Aug 2005 14:20:19 -0700

Boz wrote:
> Thanks Daniel for a very quick reply. This sounds rather complex and
> long winded for an Oracle newbie. Is there no short cut like resetting
> the admin password to give me full read write access or is there a
> default oracale password that I could use just in case they have left
> it at that or am I totally thinking on the wrong lines. Im keen to
> learn but I think a little knowledge could be dangerous. I wouldnt
> fancy messing up the system. It would have been great to try the
> scheduling and qouting and other modules on the system on the demo
> first.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, especially with Oracle. Giving you 'admin' access to the database, when you clearly are not familiar with how Oracle operates is truly a recipe for disaster.

For security reasons the default passwords for admin accounts are changed, to prevent prying eyes from accessing data not meant for their perusal, as well as preventing any simple hacking of the database, which would allow the perpetrator free reign over the entire contents, including dropping tables and users.

You do not want to circumvent the access scheme provided by your vendor, as that would immediately void any support and warranty agreements your employer has in force for this product. I understand your curiosity, however attempting to 'end-run' the application is clearly not the way to learn how it operates. And trying to do that using the Oracle 'super-user' is doubly dangerous, as you could destroy the application, and the database, using misunderstood or mistyped commands.

Were I you I'd contact the vendor and inquire if a second demonstration, or a training session, can be scheduled to provide you the instruction you desire. Wanting to learn is admirable; to attempt it by improper means is foolhardy. I'm certain you'd rather be safe, than sorry.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Aug 09 2005 - 16:20:19 CDT