Re: Why is "shutdown abort", then backup bad

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 8 Aug 2005 13:10:51 -0700

bbulsara23_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> My
> argument is about people being rude in this newsgroup and using RTFM.
> Despite this odd thread tangent, my argument is not about English
> grammar.

Have you seen http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm#subj16 ? Would you have any suggestions as to how that could be improved?

I personally disagree that RTFM is rude on its face. It is a fine olde usenet tradition, and while I agree that some posters could/should couch it in less rude context, Sybrand and Daniel in particular have well-defined rules on when to use it (and at times, I'm still amazed at how good they are at evaluating posts). All one can do is politely ask someone to be more polite, expecting a change in behavior from those who have been around a long time is just asking for trouble. In the case of this thread, you could be fairly accused of being a troll. So just chill out, help when you can, and see that there is a lot of good information in this group. It is archived, after all.

I created the google "Oracle Server" group with the idea of it being like a moderated cdos, but no one really cares about a moderated cdos. At least so far. If people start using it, that could change. But I would be a fairly liberal moderator, and RTFM would be quite acceptable.

netcopping is needed on unmoderated groups, and I salute those who do it. But you have to do it right, just like the real cops.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.cnet.com/4520-11136_1-6259955-1.html?tag=txt