Re: How to do a "fuzzy" or approximate matching of strings in a SQL where clause

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 21:05:12 +0200

D Goyal wrote:
> AFAIK soundex will check for similar sounding words. I am looking for
> simillar phrases.
> For example
> 1. "SQL server help request"
> 2. "Re: Re: SQL Server help request - followup"
> 3. "FW: forwarded for your attention: SQL Server help request "
> My application will be a helpdesk system where I want to check for
> subject line, search for similar instances that happen in past and do
> something.
>
> Thanks

Oracle Text indexing will do just that, and a whole lot more. Gists, Soundex (but better than SOUNDEX()!), proximity, multi language, multi column, multiple document type (finally you can search through all those Presentations and Documents, and get answers in seconds when searching for that one phrase!)

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel