Re: Why is "shutdown abort", then backup bad

From: <bbulsara23_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 8 Aug 2005 01:27:56 -0700

> So does the charter of this newsgroup, a document apparently you
> haven't read. It can be found here:
>
> http://members.cox.net/oracleu nix/ORACLECH.HTM
>
> and it prohibits sales and marketing posts as there is a suitable
> newsgroup for such advertisements. Re-read every post to which Daniel
> Morgan has objected; you'll find them all to be spam, i.e. marketing
> and sales related posts. Attempting to enforce the charter is far
> different from attempting to impose ones own sensibilities upon a
> newsgroup without consensus.

So what are you saying. Daniel is allowed to be rude because he is attempting to enforce a bit of the charter? Silly argument. My argument is no one should be allowed to get away with being rude, whether is is written in the charter or not! Mladen Gogala was rude, he wrote RTFM.

I have read the charter. But posting to usenet has acceptable behaviour not defined there too. For example, read the section titled "Netiquette" here.

http://people.netscape.com/sfraser/mtnw/docs/Usenet.html

There are many points described in netiquette. Writing RTFM fits many of the unacceptable categories. You have defended Daniel Morgan for asking posters to apologize for posting to c.d.o rather than c.d.m but you cannot defend him on all his offensive behaviour on other counts. This is a little selective. Reading the netiquette link above for example it says:

And don't say Daniel doesn't slander other people, he does! And don't say Daniel is nice to other people, he generally isn't!

Lastly, this Winnie the Pooh Mary Poppins thing. I include the entire paragraph so as to not be accused again of "'judicious' snipping of posts to justify your point".

> Were Mary Poppins to suddenly become an Oracle Certified DBA and submit
> posts to this newsgroup you'd likely find fault with her delivery, as
> well, as it doesn't match your own.

This is another unfounded statement from you. I have made ONE comment about Mladen Gogala writing RTFM and from this you can extrapolate that I would find fault in everyones postings, including apparently Mary Poppins. I have been unfairly challenged for "attempting to moderate" this group by asking Mladen to not post RTFM. I can support the "unfair" claim by your (and others) defence of repeat "moderate" and "slander" offenders Daniel Morgan and others. So in summary, I object to what Mladen Gogala has written and that is about all you can conclude. And this is my opinion but I still believe Mladen shouldn't tar himself with the same brush of Sybrand Bakker and Daniel Morgan.

Barry Received on Mon Aug 08 2005 - 03:27:56 CDT