Re: RMAN / nocatalog

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 17:05:26 +0200

amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:
> I was reading the RMAN manual and needed a bit of clarification on a
> few things:
>
> 1) When you issue the command "using backup controlfile", that
> basically means you will be performing a PIT recovery, and the SCN's in
> the controlfile do not match what you want to restore to.

Where did you read that? 'using backup controlfile' just means I don't have, for whatever reason that may be, no current control file and hence I have to use a backup. This in turn tells oracle that there might be more archived logs available than it does know about.

And since it doesn't know about that and since the online redologs are seemingly not distinguishable (is that a real word?) from archived redologs, oracle doesn't know when it's done with recovery and needs an 'open reset logs' afterwards.

This is called an incomplete recovery. Incomplete because for a complete recovery you need a current controlfile which you just oracle told you don't have.

> Is this the only time you really use "using backup controlfile", when
> you perform a PIT recovery?

No. For PIT you use 'until [time | scn]'.

> 2) If you are using a recovery catalog, what would be a reason to
> enter RMAN with the "nocatalog" option, even if you have a catalog?

Because it's temporarily not available, because you encounter a bug. I once came across a installation where rman would invariably crash when using the catalog for backup. Backup with nocatalog and then resync did the trick.

As soon as possible we upgraded to 9iR and the issue went away.

And from now on *please* first search this newsgroup before asking, both questions have been discussed at length in this very group.

Regards,
Holger Received on Fri Aug 05 2005 - 10:05:26 CDT