Re: Why is "shutdown abort", then backup bad

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 10:49:32 GMT

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 21:38:07 +0000, cs charlie wrote:

> One of our database is using "shutdown abort", and then take a cold backup.
> Users on metalink are strongly against it.

Did you ask them why? Are you asking us why are they against it?

> If we take a cold backup, everything we need to do a instance recovery is in
> online redo logs. If people can use "shutdown abort" and startup again
> during normal database administration, why can not we use COLD backup of
> "shutdown abort"? It is just do a instance recovery now or do a instance
> recovery in the future.

Have you read any of the available backup books? Rob Freeman's RMAN book is the first that comes to mind? Other then that, Rama Velpuri's backup books are also excellent. You have the problem called "RTFM".

> Thanks for your input.

Any time, pal.

--
http://www.mgogala.com