Re: Need index on 2 column table?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 4 Aug 2005 18:36:01 -0700

In theory most every table should have a PK defined; however, it wasn't that long ago that we were looking at a system where the vendor did not index many of the tables and used unique indexes without defining PK constraints for most of the tables that had a unique key. The vendor figured that since many customer did not use several parts of the system that each customer's DBA could add the indexes later as needed.

The other problem you have to watch is the index exists but it was built col2, col1 when most all the queries specifiy only col1. In this case you might want to flip the index column definition order rather than create a second index.

I think bdbafh is right and this sounds like a good IOT canidate.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Aug 04 2005 - 20:36:01 CDT