Dataguard fun continues...

From: Vince Laurent <vincelaurent_at_REMOVETHISsbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 14:33:16 GMT

OK... I started from scratch again. Here is what I did:

SQL> alter database recover managed standby database disconnect from session;
Database altered.

Let the database run for a few days then simulate a failover:

SQL> alter database set standby database to maximize performance; Database altered.
SQL> alter database recover managed standby database finish skip standby logfile ;
Database altered.
SQL> alter database commit to switchover to primary; alter database commit to switchover to primary *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-16139: media recovery required

Why does it need media recovery? All the log files were applied?

Then I tried:

SQL> startup
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 304050184 bytes

Fixed Size                   737288 bytes
Variable Size             234881024 bytes
Database Buffers           67108864 bytes
Redo Buffers                1323008 bytes
ORA-01666: controlfile is for a standby database

SQL> And ANYTHING I type at this point I get the error:

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01507: database not mounted

But it won't mount...
Help!