Backing up 1 TB database

From: <john.mcconnell_at_jhmi.edu>
Date: 4 Aug 2005 07:31:43 -0700

Hello,
We're implementing SAP on IBM AIX V5.3 with Oracle 9i and we have several databases that are almost 1 TB in size. Currently we do the backup by:

1)  put db in backup mode
2)  flash (IBM shark) from the source disk to a target disk
3)  take db out of backup mode
4)  mount target disk
5)  use "save" command to back up to Legato
6)  unmount target disk

So, every day I'm doing a full backup of my database. This is getting (and will get worse) very time consuming. (We've not implemented production yet and it's already 1TB!)

How do other people handle backups of databases that are this large? I've heard there are products that do incremental backups--would that work with the "flash" scenario I've mentioned? Is Legato the way to go? Is there something better?

Sorry if these are stupid questions... I'm an AIX admin...

Thank you Received on Thu Aug 04 2005 - 09:31:43 CDT