Re: RMAN Duplicate Question

From: <amerar_at_iwc.net>
Date: 4 Aug 2005 06:46:37 -0700

I must agree that using RMAN to back up is rather simple. But when it comes to restoring, there are several conditions which affect how and if you can perform the restore you want.

The manual is not always clear on this. The manual says that to duplicate a database, the backup pieces must reside on the same host as the the auxiliary database. Why? "Because the manual says so?" What kind of answer is that?

And Sybrand, we all know that you believe you are God when it comes to answering Oracle questions. And most of the people probably appreciate your help. But let's take a topic which you are unfamiliar with and see how many times I may have to repeat something to you.

Heck, learning RMAN is like learning another language. I spent 6 years in Korea. I can read/write & speak Korean. I bet if I explain the grammer to you Sybrand, you'll need to ask more than once how to write or say something.

Bottom line is, RMAN is NOT straight forward in its operations, AND, like anything, posting a question may sometimes provide an answer, as it just did in my case.

The soft link seems to be working, as the DUPLICATE command is executing and the database IS restoring..........

I did not see you suggest that Sybrand. Maybe the master can learn from the students too....... Received on Thu Aug 04 2005 - 08:46:37 CDT