Re: No future for DB2

From: Mark Malakanov <markmal_at_rogers.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 22:00:55 -0400

Madison Pruet wrote:
> "Mark Malakanov" <markmal_at_rogers.com> wrote in message
>

>>Madison Pruet wrote:
>>
>>>At a minimun the replication solution should be able to either prevent
>>>triggers from firing on the target if it is populated by a replication
>>>apply, with the assumption (and policing) that all of the tables

> associated
>
>>>with original transaction is replicated as part of that transaction.
>>
>>Yes, there is a function that should be called in an updateable MV
>>target table trigger DBMS_MVIEW.I_AM_A_REFRESH. It returns FALSE if
>>trigger is fired by local changes, and TRUE if trigger is fired by
>>replication.
>>

> That's a good feature. But is there a way to prevent the trigger from
> firing without having to make the trigger aware of the fact that replication
> exists? Otherwise, wouldn't it be difficult to use replication with third
> party applications?

I'm afraid it would be difficult. Triggers should be modified. If you have third-party app that was not designed for replication, you could use Advanced Replication, that works via Streams and AQ and is practically transparent to the app. But it is lincensed separately.:( AR is very powerful thing, mainly because it allows to resolve data collisions using many standard and custom methods, and can work with a close to real time latency.
So depending on the scenario, you can use Standard R with full or fast refreshes, groups, for one-direction replication. I doubt that you will run the same app on the replica. Usually it is some kind of reporting DB. If you need two(several) identical DBs with identical apps, that actively work by-directionally, you have to go with AR, and to think about collision resolutions.

but... what was an initial question? :) Received on Wed Aug 03 2005 - 21:00:55 CDT