Re: ORA-03114 Not Connected To Oracle problem.

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 22:57:04 +0200

On 3 Aug 2005 12:09:15 -0700, nicolas.bouchard_at_gmail.com wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to solve a problem with our software. The software is
>developed using Visual C++ 6, the Oracle Server is a 8.1.7.0.0 and
>we're using the OO4O 8.1.7.3.11. The OS of the server is win2k server
>and the workstations are win2k also. The users are connected through
>Terminal Services and all the sessions are handled by one server.
>
>My problem is a ORA-03114 that popups randomly, in the middle of a
>process. The weird thing is, it is never at the same place, and always
>in the middle of the process (the systems did queries milliseconds /
>seconds before). Most of the time, the errors occur on queries and not
>on update / insert / delete.
>
>The Oralce Connection can be up for some hours at the time of the crash
>and only one connection to Oracle will fail. Network problem could be
>ruled out, only one Oracle connection is broken (even if there are
>30-50 more connections opened on the same TS server) and that user
>didn't lost his TS connection to the server.
>
>I know there are OO4O 3.15 released, but upgrading our clients require
>a great deal of problems (our customer are 24/7), I'm making pression
>to make the upgrade, but as you may guess, it's taking quite a long
>time.
>
>Do you guys have any idea or suggestion where I can look to find clues
>on the problem ? I have already looked at the Oracle TRACE generated
>by the server and by the clients, if I remember correctly, no specific
>error occured before our 03114.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Nicolas Bouchard.

ora-3114 can occur in many different cases, but most of them point to shared pool issues. Likely this is a result from shared pool fragmentation, caused by excessive parsing, caused in its turn by not using bind variables.

If your customer is 24 * 7 why is he running on a fully desupported config?

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA