RMAN Duplicate Question

From: <amerar_at_iwc.net>
Date: 3 Aug 2005 13:30:49 -0700

Hi All,

We are trying to duplicate our production database onto a test server. We are running Oracle 8.1.7.3 on HPUX.

I read through the manual and have hit some road blocks maybe someone can help with.

The RMAN pieces on our production server are kept in /u02/backup. The database files are kept in /u02/oradata.

We did not have enough space on the test server to have both the backup pieces and the restored database. So, we created a new volume group /test and we copied the backup pieces over to that volume group, nearly 350GB.

Well, when we ran the duplicate command we received this error:

RMAN-10035: exception raised in RPC: ORA-19505: failed to identify file "/u02/backup/mpcprod_diff_L0.1664.1"

Stands to reason, the production recovery catalog is looking for the files on the test (or auxiliary) server in /u02/backup. But, there was not enough room, and we put them in /test.

Ok, now, I need to know how to tell RMAN to read the files from /test, rather from /u02/backup, and at the same time not screw up our production recovery catalog.

Can this be done? Can I read the files from a different source other than what the recovery catalog says, and then use the SET NEWNAME and duplicate the database?

Thanks. Received on Wed Aug 03 2005 - 15:30:49 CDT