Re: No future for DB2

From: Mark Malakanov <markmal_at_rogers.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:24:44 -0400

Madison, I think your understanding of Oracle materialized views does not include all of its features available.

Madison Pruet wrote:

> No Noons, I responded with why I didn't consider snapshop replication of
> any kind to be replication. A copy maybe, but not replication. I never
> tried to compare anything.
>
> And I quote from my prior postiong...
>
> "Does Oracle snapshot replication
>
> 1) replicate all of the trigger activity performed on the original table

Yes. It does. You can create MV Log on a source table. It will write down all of table data modifications into MV log table. Further these modifications can be propagated to a target MV in "fast refresh" mode.

> 2) distinguish between updates on a row and inserts/deletes on the same row?
> (If not, then cascade deletes are not properly performed)
Yes, see above. All is registered in a time based sequence.

> 3) properly handle cascading updates

Yes. You can combine several MVs into a MV Group. The refreshes will be done with transactional consistency.

> This is why I generally don't consider snapshot copies as being replication.
> They generally only replicate the data, and not the engine logic associated
> with the base table."

No, it is not so simplistic.
You can refer to Oracle9i Advanced Replication Release 2 (9.2)http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96567/toc.htm Received on Wed Aug 03 2005 - 12:24:44 CDT