Re: No future for DB2

From: Madison Pruet <mpruet_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 08:13:26 -0500

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:42f096a7$0$11925$5a62ac22_at_per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
> Madison Pruet apparently said,on my timestamp of 3/08/2005 2:53 PM:
>
> > Maybe so. But by posting as he did, all he did was to point out
> > shortcomings of some database systems. But these are weaknesses that
> > Informix Enterprise Replication does not have. He made bogus statements
he
> > should have done his homework before exposing trying to point out the
> > weaknesses of any system, because if you aren't really careful, it will
> > backfire.
>
> No dickhead. I did not post to "point out the shortcomings"
> of ANYTHING. I posted a *comment* on Oracle for a *post* on Oracle.

Noons.. Again I quote from your posting... "If I understand your question correctly, that is not possible with ANY replication in any database version."

You did NOT state "that is not possible with ANY replication in any ORACLE database version." -- and you posted in comp.databases.ibm-db2, comp.databases.informix, comp.databases.oracle.server. If you do not want to post in comp.databases.informix, then all you have to do is to remove comp.databases.informix from the newsgroup entry before you post.

If the Oracle server does not have the ability to replicate the significant events of the table, or groups of tables without significant overhead, then so be it. That is not my problem. But by stating any database version, you opened the comparision to all systems - DB2, Sybase, Informix, mySQL, msSQL, postgress, etc. You made the mistake of not providing a filter in you where clause. You should have been thinking more along the lines of

select replication_characteristics
from replication_systems
where compay = "Oracle"

and not

select replication_characteristics
from replication_systems.

And now all you seem to be able to do is to throw insults at me. Received on Wed Aug 03 2005 - 08:13:26 CDT