Re: No future for DB2

From: <Hans.Wijte_at_mail.ing.nl>
Date: 3 Aug 2005 04:53:58 -0700

Frank van Bortel schreef:

> Anton Versteeg wrote:
>

> > No since Oracle has zip marketshare on the mainframe,
> > my statement is true, but to please you I will rephrase it to:
> > DB2 is the only product that has proven it runs on the mainframe,
> > midrange and PC and also sunstantial market share.
> >

> Wot? Ahold dumped their mainframes? Too bad... for you.
> They did test Oracle on MVS, you know - in France (Nice, iirc)
>
> So you're wrong again: Oracle is proved (by customers, not
> just a bunch of geeks!) to run on mainframes under IBM OS,
> on midrange (Unix/Linux) and personal platforms.
>
> The only platform Oracle was never ported to, is AS/400
>
> --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel

Actually, the test mentioned above wasn't in Nice.

This was a test of running a large corporate data warehouse with Oracle on MVS on a RX4 mainframe in the IBM lab in Montpellier. I happened to be the dba in that test; although Oracle ran perfectly well on this platform, eventually the decision was made to run the application on a Sun/Solaris machine

Hans Wijte Received on Wed Aug 03 2005 - 06:53:58 CDT