Re: Oracle reports and russian language

From: Mark Malakanov <markmal_at_rogers.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 21:56:40 -0400

Jack wrote:
> "Mark Malakanov" <markmal_at_rogers.com> wrote in message
>

>>You can try NLS_LANG=AMERIACAN_AMERICA.CL8MSWIN1251 if you dont like
>>tricks with dates and numbers.

> Just curious, what kind of tricks would needed?
> Would you be so kind and explain a bit?

as I said, the number 123,456,789.99 in Russian format will be 123.456.789,99.
Dates go DD-MM-YYYY, not MM-DD-YYYY as in US. Also a sort order, as far as I remember, is AaBbVv...(for cyrillic set of letters). I'm not sure how it can be important, but for some apps it can be.

> We have database with NATIONAL CHARACTER SET AL16UTF16,
> will it also save cyrillic?

Yes, it should.

> Perhaps we would need cyrillic version about our systems.
> It would be nice to know what kind of job it would be.

If russian text is in NCHAR, NVARCHAR cols, it should be fine. You just should specify CL8MSWIN1251 (in windows) in NLS_LANG, Oracle should translate.

what is your client OS? oracle version?

I wanted to test it but failed to switch windows 2003 to understand 1251 codepage :). It should be made via controlpanel, by setting a default language to Russian. I set. And I'm able to type in Russian but when it saves to file it saves ?????????. The same story with SQL*Plus. The oem console and windows eat russian chars. :( Received on Tue Aug 02 2005 - 20:56:40 CDT