Re: Listener Passwords, who uses them and why?

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_arcor.de>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 18:44:04 +0200

Dave schrieb:
> As the subject says, just curious how many people out there have
> passwords on their listeners?
>
> Some external group auditing us for SOX is saying that its a best
> practice but in my 8 years as a DBA i've never seen it.
>
> I can see if we had problems with listeners going down unexpectedly but
> this has never happened. Are there security holes that I should be
> aware of that recommend having a password?
>
> (I'm aware of the iSQLPlus bug in the latest Oracle CPU, but we don't
> use it..)
>
> tnx.

I've found some months ago this document http://www.integrigy.com/info/Integrigy_OracleDB_Listener_Security.pdf ( is dated Jan 2004), they state that listener passwords can be easily brut forced due to lack of automatic logout facility (haven't tested), some older exploits are listed too.
Maybe that helps...

Best regards

Maxim Received on Tue Aug 02 2005 - 11:44:04 CDT