Re: 10g Database Configuration Assistant fails with code ORA-12546

From: Wes Harrison <nospam_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 22:57:37 +1000

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1122654208.800883_at_yasure...
> Wes Harrison wrote:
> > I originally thought the problem related only to the install process of
10g
> > 10.1.0.2 on Windows Server 2003 but I have now established that the DBCA
> > will not run successfully when run on its own either. I can get all the
way
> > through the wizard and then when I click OK to start the database
creation
> > it brings up a window with a tick beside "Copying database files" and
the
> > item being "Clone database creation in progress". At this point it
fails
> > with error:
> >
> > ORA-12546: TNS: Permission denied.
> >
> > So I can't create any databases - serious problem! What could be
causing
> > this? I am a local administrator and there aren't any special file or
> > directory permissions anywhere on the server. It's basically a fresh
> > install of Windows Server 2003 with the only other program installed
being
> > Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise 12.5.3 (please don't ask me to
uninstall
> > this). The firewall is not on.
> >
> > It has been suggested that it might be a clash of ports for the listener
but
> > it doesn't look as though it even gets to install listeners. Even so,
how
> > do I know which port the listener (if any) is trying to use?
> >
> > It's a mess and it is a very serious problem. Any suggestions or
assistance
> > would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Wes
>
> Post the following files:
>
> listener.ora
> sqlnet.ora
> tnsnames.ora

OK.

listener.ora:

# listener.ora Network Configuration File: D:\DBMS\Oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\network\admin\listener.ora # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =

      (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
      (ORACLE_HOME = D:\DBMS\Oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1)
      (PROGRAM = extproc)

    )
  )

LISTENER =
  (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =

      (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
      )
      (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = KL5D)(PORT = 1521))
      )

    )
  )

sqlnet.ora:

# sqlnet.ora Network Configuration File: D:\DBMS\Oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\network\admin\sqlnet.ora # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS) NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT) tnsnames.ora:

# tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: D:\DBMS\Oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))     )
    (CONNECT_DATA =

      (SID = PLSExtProc)
      (PRESENTATION = RO)

    )
  )

I hope this helps you solve the problem. I have to deliver a working Oracle server ASAP and at the moment things are not looking good.

Thanks,

Wes Received on Tue Aug 02 2005 - 07:57:37 CDT